Service



"He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat let him do likewise."
Luke 3:17


I happen to enjoy the winter from within my cozy capecod. I relish in the warm, lazy moments of curling up to a good book. I look forward to the days of sweat pants and roaring fireplaces. However I am aware that for many winter is just a reminder of their lack of....whether it be temporal, spiritual or loneliness, our trials can feel like; bitter dark and deadly. It's easy to remember those suffering during the holidays, but how quickly we forget this once January 1st approaches.
Let me just mention that I have been blessed by those who have served me, service has fed my soul when in need and energized my faith when acting upon it. I am oh so grateful for those whom took it upon themselves to serve me and for the growing experiences I had when the tables have been turned and I can give back.

This is why I'm making it a New Years Resolution to be more aware of my surroundings. To ask Heavenly Father for moments to serve, and take be aware and take action when they come. I don't necessarily feel bad at serving, I try to be friendly to others, help my neighbors out, bring over meals to the sick etc. But I most certainly can do better, reach higher, shoot farther. I think we all can, 365 days a year.
There are plenty of people in need temporally and spiritually and many ways to serve:

Food bank
Shelter
Bishop Storehouses
Fast Offerings
Donating Clothes
Offering Rides
Babysitting
A meal
Blankets
An much more
And there are many ways spiritually:

Prayer
Scripture
A phone call
A letter
A visit
A meal
Rides to church, temple
Offering old Christian magazines
And so on...


There have been times when encouragement, a hug, a visit and prayer have nourished my soul when enduring trials, particularly while being in and out of the hospital pregnant with my oldest daughter. Babysitting and meals have offered relief, and a spiritual message and visit have been an answer to prayers. Service is a peaceful, joyful act, something this world needs more of and I resolve to do more of it as the biting frosty winter hardens the hearts of those lacking. If any of you have any other suggestions please let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Love Story Part 1

Meal Time Sentences

Pregnancy Fears